The Mitchell United Methodist Church has a long history dating back to 1864 when it was organized as the Methodist Church Society, just a few months before the incorporation of the Village of Negaunee.
It was in June of 1899 that plans began to construct a new sanctuary at the corner of N. Teal Avenue and Case Streets in Negaunee Michigan Captain Sam Mitchell gave $5,000 to begin the fund raising for this project and the architect Benjamin Price of Highlands, N.J. began the construction with the E.E. Grip & Company of Ishpeming MI. In order to accommodate the new building the old church was moved to the west lot line to provide adequate space. The new church building would provide space for 700 people for worship as well as space for Sunday School rooms. The church was then renamed Mitchell Methodist Episcopal Church. Captain Mitchell gave a total of $8,065 toward the construction of the church with another $1,638 from the congregation.
Since the time of the new construction, an additional annex was added with a pipe organ in the sanctuary and a beautiful stained glass window showing Christ in Gethsemane, in memory of Captain Mitchell.
Over the years, many more effects have been added to the church facility and its ministry has continued to grow in service to the community of Negaunee. From 1864 to the present day, the Mitchell United Methodist Church remains a symbol of God’s love and grace to the world in the true Wesleyan tradition.